Sunday, May 5, 2013

Become an AP Grader

While we are at it, I have gotten to know the aforementioned Dan Larsen at the AP Government reading.  When I tell people that I grade exams their first reaction is to say that grading is the worst part of their job, so why would anyone want to go.  Well 1) I am a much better teacher because of the work I have done as an AP grader in two different subjects.  After all if I know how to grade an exam, then I know how to better prepare students for future essays.  2) The people I met give me both great friendships, but also colleagues near and far to exchange ideas and assignments.  3) You get to go to great places.  This year I will be in Salt Lake City and even though, yes, you do work 8-5 (with lunch and AM/PM break) we did have time to go hiking one day, go to the Great Salt Lake, on another and see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice in their 20,000 person arena and usually we catch a baseball game.  4)  I am so much more a proficient grader and can very accurately whip through lots of free response questions - which means I can assign more and better prepare my students (who this year wrote 12 for grades and another 3-4 for practice in my class).

Basically it works like this.  Day 1 - fly to AP grading site  Day 2 - learn the rubric.  They give you all the answers and truthfully most of my AP students could grade given the training.  By the end of the day you will be very accurately grading exams and giving them the identical grade to everyone at your table Day 3-7 - grade all day in 4 quadrants and yes it can get hard at times Day 8 - Finish the grading which means you only get about 50-75.  Only once have I ever graded beyond noon on this day and then you get the rest of the day to do things like do real sightseeing. Day 9 Fly Home.

So if you are interested, here is the place to sign up. 

2 comments:

Ken Wedding said...

I can only second everything Ken says about reading exams. The experience made me a better teacher. The collegial friendships I made at those readings were incredibly valuable. (Especially because, unlike Ken, I was the only person teaching Comparative Government and Politics for 50 miles. The isolation was oppressive until I went to a reading.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your posting. I frequent your blog often for class and apprecaite how thorough you are! Very well done! This is my first year grading the AP US GoPo exam - my 4th year teaching the course. I have been told it is the best PD one can really do for the course, so I look forward to meeting my peers and engaging is this experience.