Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Free Response Question Strategy

Here's the strategy I place on every FRQ I give my students. I require them to write using these strategies. I believe it helps focus the student's attention and will hopefully help them earn as high of a score as possible. Some of these ideas are my own and some are from colleagues who have served as readers and table leaders.

Free Response Strategy

* Mark-up the question.
* Count up how many points you are trying to earn. (Look for number references, count the verbs)
* Write as many sentences as there are points.
* Write simple, declarative sentences.
* Answer the question asked. Nothing else.
* Look for time references. Patterns, passage of time.
* Do not argue with the premise of the prompt.
* Add an extra response just in case.
* Answer the question in the order asked.
* Skip a line between parts, but do not label.

Frank Franz
Madison HS

No comments: